Wednesday 12 November 2008

Harrier & simplified Concorde graphics



Maybe it's just not leaving well enough alone but I think Concorde is such an icon that it can take reducing to the bare minimum. When I think of Concorde (aside from colour of course... there weren't too many yellow or blue ones like these...) it's the triangular delta wing and the pointy ends that register. Not to forget the bent schnoz. Isn't it ironic that one of the, arguably, most beautiful pieces of design ever couldn't function properly without a honking great hook nose...??! (interesting fact number 1: the pilots couldn't see the runway on landing with the nose up and beautifully pointy). I don't even think you really need to see the tail fin (that's just the bit where you paint the flag!). The other illustration might be familiar...a Harrier, aka 'jump jet' (I hate that phrase... sorry the pane geek raising his ugly head, hope I'm not boring you all...?). I'm trying to think of these designs as much as 'aeroplane microbes' under the microscope. Think amoeba with wings :) Normal, non aeroplane, blog service will be resumed soon.

2 comments:

Kev Levell said...

The harrier looks a little like a shark! I really like these Matt - they've got a lot of appeal!

Word verification: guerpin - hiccups/wind brought on by a gherkin intolerance?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice comments on my Blog. I love your work (both Blog and website) Love the shapes, texture and fun in all your pieces. Fantastic stuff.