Thursday 11 October 2012

Red Bull Stratos... waitin' on the weather...

Like so many other folks I've been eagerly following developments over on the Red Bull Stratos site and Felix Baumgartner's awe inspiring attempt to break the world altitude record for a parachute jump from 120,000 feet, and in so doing also be the first person to break the sound barrier in free fall! I'd have loved to have been around in 1969 and stayed up for the Apollo moon landings, and, for me, this one small step into the void captures something of that giant leap for mankind. So I tuned in to watch yesterday's live feed of the mission. It was disappointing to have the things delayed because winds were too strong for his gigantic, yet incredibly delicate, helium balloon to take to the skies. Better safe than sorry though. Fingers crossed for a safe and successful attempt this sunday. To whet the appetite why not watch the equally awe inspiring current record holder, Joe Kittinger's 1960 free fall from 102,800 feet! Till then I thought I'd mark events in my own humble little way (the balloon isn't to the correct scale of course...).

No comments: